Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Leftover Macaroni

A few Saturdays back, I had leftover macaroni . . . and it was DE-LI-CIOUS!  Eating leftover macaroni may seem like a silly thing to dedicate any time writing about, but it made me think.  You see, it wasn't too long ago when I would have refused to eat macaroni that was a day old.  It was only fresh Kraft macaroni for me, and I can remember my mom and I having several tiffs about my snob status when it came to processed cheesy noodles.

So as I was scarfing down my day old lunch a few weekends ago, I had to laugh.  Eating leftover macaroni is just one of the things my mom did/wanted us to do that I deemed "unreasonable".  And yet, it is one of a number of those unreasonable things I find myself doing now.  Buying generic products (though I still hold out for name brands on pop-tarts and cereal), microwaving spaghetti noodles instead of cooking them on the stove, and buying jeans from Target because I refuse to spend more than $25 on a pair are just a few of the other "mom-practices" I've reverted to as I've lived life on my own over the past 8 years.

And the funny thing is, I've realized that mom's ways really aren't all that bad, and though I may never tell her, I completely understand the benefits of the choices she made.  So, while I used to dread hearing "you're so much like your mom" when it came to the things I did or said, now I consider it a compliment because if being like mom means saving time and money, I'm all in.

 Plus, macaroni really is better the second day . . .

1 comment:

  1. I like this post and totally agree with many of your thoughts! But I am going to need some advice because I didn't know you could microwave spaghetti noodles! How do you do that?! I love spaghetti! A microwave is my only source of cooking at work, so this sounds right up my alley! LW, I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete