Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Cookies Are Here!

Well . . . they aren't actually here quite yet.  But my order of Girlscout cookies will arrive in a little less than two weeks and I am thrilled!  I mean what better way to start a February than with two boxes of Thin Mints and two boxes of Do-si-dos?

Out of curiosity, and honestly because I wanted to delay the start of my workday, I decided to investigate these lovely treats a little bit more.  And because I'm sure you are just as interested as I am in knowing all there is to know about these delicious little guys, here are some random facts that caught my eye:

- There are three mandatory varieties of Girlscout Cookies that have to be produced every year: Thin Mints, Do-si-dos, and Shortbread.

- Girlscout Cookies are sold by weight, which is why the number of cookies in each box varies for each type.

- The best selling cookie type is Thin Mints, which makes up an average of 25% of the sales each year.  Samoas are second, with 19% and Tagalongs are third with 13%

- Girlscout Cookies are kosher

- 70% of the proceeds from Girlscout Cookies goes to the troops that sell them

So there you go; a few little tidbits of knowledge to make you think and hopefully get you as excited as I am about these yummy treats!

And really, would this post be complete without a video demonstrating the excitement Girlscout cookies bring to the lives of people everywhere?  I think not.  So I'll leave you with this . . .




Happy snacking!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had GS cookies in years! I guess I ate my share back when I was a GS! I do love them, especially Thin Mints & Trefoils (shortbread). When I think of them, I remember the job is was to deliver them to the buyers after they sold. Sheesh! I might have to hit up one of the cookie stands this year! :)

    ReplyDelete